If your business charges tax, you will be asked to create a sales tax in QuickBooks with the QBDT Sync app:
To set a Sales tax rate in Quickbooks, first open the Quickbooks file you plan to integrate.
Navigate to Edit>Preferences> Sales Tax> Company Preferences:
Select Yes - This will allow you to customize your sales tax. If you are using a legacy file which already has your desired sales tax items set up, you may select that item from the drop-down list to the right rather than creating a new tax item:
Select Add Sales Tax Item:
In the popup window, the fields need to read as follows:
Item Type: Sales Tax Item
Sales Tax Name: POS Sales Tax
Tax Rate: 0%
Tax Agency: (Name of Vendor you collect tax for)
Click OK, then Save. You have set up Sales tax within QuickBooks Desktop.
A Sales tax must also be created in Revel which will share the same name as the tax created in QuickBooks Desktop
Setting up a Prevailing Tax
To get started, you will want to set a prevailing tax for your establishment. This will be the default tax that will be applied to all your products at the time of the order.
- Log in to your Revel Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com).
- Click the tab located on the Dashboard in the upper portion of the screen.
- Click Taxes using the menu-bar on the left side of the screen.
- From the preset tax groups on the left, click Prevailing Tax Group.
- Under the section Included Taxes, click and enter in POS Default Tax, tax rate (percentage), and choose an effective from-to date for your prevailing tax:
Note: All products by default will be charged the tax set up for this special tax group; you will not need to assign individual products the prevailing tax. If you want to set up a different tax for your products, see below.
- Hit in the upper right portion of the screen to save all changes.
Once the tax has been correctly mapped, it will pass through as a line item on the invoice. Notice in the photo below, the sales tax is circled in Red:
The Sales tax window is circled in Green which will remain empty. This is because we are using the line items above (circled in red) to pass the tax amount. This is also why your sales tax rate should be created at 0%.