Getting to know the different features of your Point of Sale will help you optimize the efficiency and flow of your business. This guide will give you an explanation of the major features of the Point of Sale.
- Buttons on the Order Screen
- Managing Customers
- The Orders Tab
- Actions Buttons
- Training Mode
- Creating an Order
Buttons on the Order Screen
There are several buttons on the Order Screen to review. Starting from the top, going left to right, you'll see the following:
|CRM: Allows you to access the Customer Relationship Manager (CRM) and/or call names for your orders. See Managing Customers below.|
|Orders: Access any orders from here. See The Orders Tab below.|
|Actions: Once an item is added to the order, you can customize the item. See Actions Buttons below.This option also appears once an order has been created; for more info on this, see step 5 in Creating an Order below.|
|Expand: Expand or Collapse the screen; a different view of your menu will appear taking up the whole screen. Click again to return to default view.|
|Search for menu items|
|Logout: brings you back to the login screen to enter your PIN|
|Cancel: If a customer changes their mind, cancel order gives you the ability to cancel or remove the entire order.|
|Hold: If a customer needs to step away from the cash register before paying for the order, you can use the Hold Order button. This allows you to place a customer’s order on hold to ring up the next guest. When the customer returns, you can find their order by going under Orders > Held Order.|
|Send: Sends the order to the kitchen for preparation|
|Pay: Tapping this icon will direct you to the payments screen.|
If you click on the in an order, you can search by the customer's Name, Phone #, Email, Reference Code (a code you use to identify the customer) or Company Name. You'll also notice you can toggle between your Customers - who are saved in your CRM database, as well as Call Names. Call Names are NOT associated with any customer account and thus, will not accumulate any loyalty/reward points; these are simply to call a customer by name when their order is ready. If you choose a Customer from your database, that can also act as their Call Name:
Additionally, you can click on +Add New to add a new customer directly on the Point of Sale. For more details on this, please review Managing Your CRM on the POS.
The Orders Tab
If you click on the icon, you're able to see all your orders, with filters to view Open Orders, Today's Orders or All Orders. You can also search by Order ID or Customer Name:
|Open Orders||Displays all orders that are still open - whether they have been "held" or are simply unpaid.|
|Today’s Order||Displays all completed transactions for the day|
|All Orders||Displays all orders for all time|
|Invoices||Displays invoices locally and those saved on the server. You can also search for invoices by Order ID or Customer Name|
Once in the Orders tab, you can view additional search options by clicking on the icon. This will display an option to Manage Orders, Advanced Search and Sort Preference:
|Advanced Search||Along with Order ID and Customer Name, the advanced search allows you to also search for an order by Credit Card, Date Range, Serial Number (if applicable) or by Loyalty Card Number (if applicable).|
|Sort Preference||Sort preferences for orders includes: Customer Name, Date Opened, Employee Name, Order ID, Table #, Order Total, Order Type and Due Date.|
The Action Buttons are customizable options that appear at the bottom left of the order screen. These action icons give you the ability to adjust an entire order, rather than one individual item at a time:
All available action icons are defined below:
|Add Extra Items||This icon will allow you to create a one-time-use item. If you would like to save the item to your inventory, you can select Save to Server.|
|Link Card to Order||This feature is mainly used for preauthorization. This feature allows bartenders/waiters/ employees to easily pull up a customer's tab or table by swiping the customer's credit card, as opposed to selecting the tab/table on the screen.,Additionally, it is also possible to link a customer's card to a bar tab with a Preauthorization required.|
|Quantity||Using this button will allow you to enter the quantity of the item you want to purchase.|
|Discount Order||Using this icon, select an existing discount or create a manual discount towards the entire purchase.|
|Service Fee||Add a percentage charge or flat fee to be applied to the entire order.|
|Dining Option||Use this button to record your customers order preference.|
|Print Guest Check||Before receiving payment on an order, use this icon to print a summary of the entire order|
|Open Cash Drawer||Open the cash drawer and access the till without making a cash sale|
|Move Table||This will allow you to transfer an order without loosing items. If you would like to move items from one table to a different table, you can select this button and choose which table you want the items moved.|
|Transfer Order||Allows you to transfer an order from a one waiter to another waiter.|
|Auto Gratuity||This will allow you to enter a present gratuity off this specific order.|
|Add/Remove Tax||Use this feature to remove the tax from the entire order.|
For more information on customizing your Action Buttons, please see our article Customizing Order, Payment, and Action Options
Training mode allows you to test various features of the Point of Sale with it effecting your reporting. It is a great feature to use when training new employees or learning the system for the first time. To put your Point of Sale station in Training Mode:
- From the Point of Sale Dashboard, click on Settings.
- Tap Training Mode and make sure Enable Training Mode is turned ON with a blue oval. After this is turned on, a red bar displays across the top alerting you that it is on, which will appear an the station until it is deactivated:
- Once activated, an additional option will appear for you to decide if you also want to Print Kitchen Tickets in Training Mode. Any changes save automatically.
- Click on the Dashboard option to return to your home screen and begin testing the system with new orders:
Creating an Order
Now that you've learned the basics of the Point of Sale Orders, you're ready to create a new order. To do so, follow the steps below:
- From the Point of Sale Dashboard, tap New Order or Tables:
- If you tap Tables, you'll see your table layout appear on screen to select the appropriate table number and open a new order. If you selected New Order, you'll be taken directly into the Order screen.
- To add an item to the order, find the product you'd like to add to the order by navigating through your menu or using the search function to enter the item name, barcode, SKU, or alternate lookup ID in the box. Select the Product and it will be added to the order on the left: NOTE: Depending how your menu display is set up, your menu may look slightly different. Please take a look at our article Nested Menus for more information on the options available.
- Once an order is created, it will be assigned a unique order number. Tap the Order # to open the Order Details screen. Here you can add a customer to the order, add order notes, and add and edit discounts and service fees. Tap Done to leave the details screen and return to the order.
- Once an item is added to an order, you can see additional Actions by clicking on the icon:
- Seat Number: If you are tracking seat numbers within your orders, this option allows you to change the seat number for each particular item.
- Add Quantity: Allows you to add quantity to increase the number of the select product for purchase.
- Service Fee: If you want to add a service fee to a particular item, click this option. You'll see all available service fee that are already created, or you can manually create a new one.
- Copy Items: Allows you to duplicate the item in the order; similar to increasing quantity for an individual item, but this option allows you to duplicate multiple items in the order.
- Discount Items: if you want to apply a discount to an individual item, select this option. You'll see all available discounts that are already created, or you can manually create a new one.
- Send to Kitchen: This will send the selected item to the kitchen for preparation
- When you've added all the necessary item to the order, tap the Pay button. All available payment options will appear, such as Credit, Cash, Gift, etc. - all of which can be customized using the steps in our Customizing Order, Payment and Action Options: