Matrix Inventory allows you to add and manage product lists that consist of multiple similar items (like T-Shirts) available in a variety of attributes (Size or Color). Each combination of attributes is a unique product—with its own price or recipe, all available for sale on the iPad POS.
Create Matrix Inventory in the Management Console
When you use Matrix Inventory to create products, they are defined by attributes. For example, a t-shirt could be defined by size or color (medium, blue), a coffee beverage could be defined by size or process (venti, cappuccino). Each combination of attributes creates a unique product, and has its own price or recipe.
Create a Parent Product
First, you will need to create the Parent products for your Matrix Inventory.
- From the Products home page, select Product Attributes from the menu on the left-hand side of the page:
- Click Add Product Attribute Class to create a Parent product:
- Add as many product classes as you need. We will create the attributes in the next section:
- When you’ve completed creating your Parent products, click the icon.
Creating a Product Attribute
Product attributes are descriptors for a product, like size or color. Each attribute contains values like small, medium, and large, or red, white, and blue.
- From the Product Attributes page, click the next to the product class you created:
- Click + Add Product Attribute and enter the attribute for your product:
- This will open the section and you can type your attribute in. Keep adding attributes until you’ve created all the different options for that product:
- When you have completed adding all the attributes to your parent products, click the in the upper right-hand corner of the section:
Creating a Matrix Product
Now that your product attributes and product values are defined, you can create matrix products built with that information. Here's how:
- Log in to the Management Console [yoursubdomain].revelup.com and click Products in the black navigation bar at the top of the page.
- Click the blue + Add button, then use the drop-down to click Product:
- A new page will open and fill out the product details. Starred items are required, add additional information as needed:
- In the Matrix Inventory Details section, select Parent from the Attribute Type drop-down. Additional Matrix Inventory options will appear:
- Click Save & New if you have additional product attributes to add, if you have none click Save & Close.
Manual Setup: iPad Point of Sale
You'll need to create product attributes in the Management Console before creating matrix products on the iPad. After you create product attributes in the Management Console, you can use the iPad POS to create matrix products to finish the setup:
- Log in to your iPad Point of Sale app as a manager.
- Click Product Setup from the menu on the home page:
- Click +P Add Product to begin adding your product:
- Fill in your product details, Name and Price are required:
- In the Category section, select Parent_category, in the Sub Cat section, select Child_Category from the pop-up menu that appears:
- Click the icon next to the product name:
- Select the Parent Category button and choose the category for your product:
- Select the Child Category button and choose the attributes for your product:
- Click Save when you’re done:
- You will need to refresh your application in order for the changes to take effect. From the home page of the iPad Management Console, click the back arrow to the right of your name at the upper right hand corner of the screen and click the Refresh link from the login page:
Once the application has refreshed, your products will be ready to be ordered!
Upload in Excel Spreadsheet
You can upload multiple Matrix Inventory items using an Excel Spreadsheet. First, you will need to download the spreadsheet, then you will upload it into the Management Console. Let's take a look at how!
- From the Product home page, select Import/Export from the bottom of the menu on the left:
- Select Products from the drop-down menu:
- Click the radio button next to Advanced:
- Click the plus sign in the Export Contents section and choose Matrix from the menu:
- Click Export.
A SKU will be assigned if it has not already been done for each product. A warning pop-up will appear to confirm. If you want to manually input SKU numbers, please do so before exporting this file.
- Once the file has downloaded to your computer, open it and find column K and enter the following information:
- Attribute type: Enter Parent, Child, or None for the type of attribute.
- Attribute parent: This is where you will name the parent attribute - this is an overall category for your matrix product. For example, Wings, which would then be split up into flavor attributes.
- Type your attributes in columns M through S on the spreadsheet and save to your computer.
- To import your file, click the Choose File button in the Import section and select the file you just edited:
- Click the Import button. An email will be sent to you when the import is completed:
- Now, when you return to the Product Attributes page, your matrix inventory will be listed. Click the plus sign to view the attributes for the products you uploaded: