Tills are used to reconcile cash at individual POS stations/cash drawers—they keep a record of every cash transaction performed at that terminal. Tills are also used to log pay-ins, pay-outs, and bank drops. If you have a coin dispenser, your till adjusts accordingly.
- Setting Tills at the Start of Business
- Pay Ins, Pay Outs, and Bank Drops
- Holding Tills
- Closing Tills
- Virtual Tills
- Till Settings
- Tills and Multiple Currency Support
Setting Tills at the Start of Business
At the beginning of the shift, an employee or manager should set the till by declaring the amount of cash present in the cash drawer. To set the till:
- On the point of sale, navigate to the dashboard.
- Under operations, select Tills. Then tap, New Till-Drawer 1.
- Next, input the amount of cash you are starting the day with and tap Set Till. Once the till is set, all cash payments and refunds will automatically update the current value in your cash drawer:
Pay-ins, Pay-Outs, and Bank Drops
If you need to add or remove cash from the cash drawer, without completing a transaction or sale, you will need to use the Pay-In or Pay-Out functionality. A Pay-In is when someone is depositing money to your business, for a reason other than a sale. On the contrary, a Pay-Out is used when you take money out of the cash drawer to pay a vendor or customer. To process a Pay-In or Pay-Out:
- From the dashboard, tap Tills and select your current open till.
- Next, select the Pay-in or Pay-out button.
- Input the amount of the pay-in or pay-out. Then, enter a specific reason for this pay-in/pay-out. This reason will show when you run financial reports:
- Tap Done and a receipt will print for you.
If you would like to take money out of the cash drawer to complete a safedrop:
- Navigate to Settings > Tills.
- Tap Safe Drop.
- Type in the value you would like to deposit in the safe.
If a till needs to be counted during business hours or in between employee shift changes, you may want to hold the till. Holding a till allows you to keep the previous till on hold, until it’s ready to be closed. You will also need to open a new till to keep track of new transactions. To hold a till:
- Go to Settings>Tills.
- Tap Hold Till:
- To re-open the till, navigate to your dashboard screen, then select Tills. Select Held Till- Drawer 1.
Once you place a till on hold, you may only proceed with closing the till. Please note that you will not be able to re-open that same till to make transactions with.
To close the till:
- At the end of the shift, navigate back to the dashboard and tap Tills . Select the current till and tap Checkout (If you held a till earlier, you will see the till listed option here).
- On the next page, you can declare cash totals by inputting each Bill Type, Coin Type, or Total Amount:
- Then tap Next to get to the Checkout Summary. Be sure to verify that your cash amounts are correct. If you need to make adjustments, tap Checkout to return to the previous screen.
- After tapping Submit, the till will close and send data to the server.
Virtual tills are tills that are tied to individual employees, rather than to a POS terminal or physical cash drawer. Any cash transactions made by that employee will be kept under the virtual till. For information, see Virtual Tills.
The settings below are available in the iPad POS app, via the dashboard screen > Settings > Cash Drawer & Tills:
- Enable Two Cash Drawers: Revel supports multiple cash drawers at a single POS terminal. If you enable multiple cash drawers, you will need to assign employees to each drawer. After that, the employee’s transactions will be logged under the assigned cash drawer/till.
- Allow Employees to Set Tills: Do you want your employees to be able to open the till?
If you have multiple currencies enabled , you should declare a starting and ending value for each currency:
- Select the currency you wish to declare by tapping the appropriate currency symbol:
- Then input the value for each currency.
The starting and ending values will be recorded for each currency. However, the tills summary data (expected amount in till, variance) will be calculated against the default currency.