Tills are used to reconcile cash at individual POS stations/cash drawers—they keep a record of every cash transaction performed at that terminal. They are also used to log pay-ins, pay-outs, and bank drops. If you have a coin dispenser, they adjust accordingly.
- Setting Tills at the Start of Business
- Pay Ins, Pay Outs, and Bank Drops
- Holding Tills
- Closing Tills
- Virtual Tills
- Till Settings
- Tills and Multiple Currency Support
Setting Tills at the Start of Business
Each morning, or each shift, the user should set the till by declaring the amount of cash present in the cash drawer.
- On the POS, start by going to Settings > Tills.
- Then input the amount of cash that you are starting with in the cash drawer.
- Tap Set Till. Once the till is set, all cash payments and refunds will automatically update the value in the cash drawer.
Pay-ins, Pay-Outs, and Bank Drops
If you need to add or remove cash from the cash drawer, without completing a transaction or sale, you will want to , perform a Pay-in or Pay-out. Here's how:
- Begin by navigating to Settings > Tills .
- On the right, select the Pay-in or Pay-out button.
- Input the amount of the Pay-in or Pay-out. Then enter a reason.
- Tap Done and a receipt will print for you.
If you would like to take money out of the cash drawer to complete a safedrop:
- Navigate to Settings > Tills.
- Tap Safe Drop.
- Type in the value you would like to deposit in the safe.
If a till needs to be counted during business hours or in between employee shift changes, you may want to choose to hold the till. Holding a till allows you to keep the previous till on hold until it’s ready to be closed. You will also need to open a new till to keep track of transactions processed after the hold.
- Go to Settings > Tills.
- Tap Hold Till.
- To re-open the till, go to Settings > Tills. Then click Held Till- Drawer 1.
Once you hold a till, you can only proceed with closing the till. You will not be able to re-open that same till make transactions.
At the end of the shift, navigate to Settings > Tills and tap Checkout to declare how much cash is present in the drawer. If you held a till earlier, you will see the till listed option here.
- Navigate to Settings > Tills and tap Checkout.
- On the next page, you can declare cash totals by inputting each bill type, coin type, or total amount.
- Then tap Done to verify the Checkout Summary.
- After you tap Submit, the till will close and send data to the server.
Virtual tills are tills that are tied to individual employees, rather than to a POS terminal or physical cash drawer. Any cash transactions made by that employee will be kept under the virtual till. For information, see Virtual Tills.
The settings below are available in the iPad POS app, via Settings > Manager > POS Settings:
- Allow Employees to Set Tills: Do you want your employees to be able to open the till?
- Enable Two Cash Drawers: Revel supports multiple cash drawers at a single POS terminal. If you enable multiple cash drawers, you will need to assign employees to each drawer. After that, the employee’s transactions will be logged under the assigned cash drawer/till.
- Offline Till Management: If enabled, you will be allowed to make modifications to your till from the Management Console.
If you have multiple currencies enabled , you should declare a starting and ending value for each currency.
- Select the currency you wish to declare by tapping the appropriate currency symbol.
- Then input the value for each currency.
The starting and ending values will be recorded for each currency. However, the tills summary data (expected amount in till, variance) will be calculated against the default currency.