Tills are used to reconcile cash at individual Point of Sale stations/cash drawers. They keep a record of every cash transaction performed at that terminal. Tills are also used to log pay-ins, pay-outs, and bank drops. If you have a coin dispenser, your till adjusts accordingly.
- Setting Tills at the Start of Business
- Pay Ins, Pay Outs, and Bank Drops
- Holding Tills
- Closing Tills
- Virtual Tills
- Till Settings
- Tills and Multiple Currency Support
Setting Tills at the Start of Business
At the beginning of the shift, an employee or manager should set the till by declaring the amount of cash present in the cash drawer. To set the till:
- In the dashboard, tap Tills. Alternately, if the Prompt to set tills upon login setting is enabled, the employee will see the prompt to set a till immediately upon logging in.
- Next, enter the amount of cash you are starting the day with. You may enter the number of bills and coins for each denomination, and the total amount adds up automatically. When finished, tap Set:
- If not assigning the till to yourself, assign the till to an employee and tap Done. Once the till is set, all cash payments and refunds will automatically update the current value in your cash drawer:
Pay Ins, Pay Outs, and Safe Drops
If you need to add or remove cash from the cash drawer without completing a transaction or sale, you will need to use the Pay In or Pay Out functionality. A Pay In is when someone is depositing money to your business for a reason other than a sale. On the contrary, a Pay Out is used when you take money out of the cash drawer to pay a vendor or customer. To process a Pay In or Pay Out:
- From the dashboard, tap Tills and select a till.
- Select Pay In or Pay Out:
- Enter the amount of the pay in or pay out and tap Submit:
- Enter a reason for this pay in or pay out. This reason will show when you run financial reports:
- Tap Submit and a receipt will print for you.
To take money out of the cash drawer and complete a safe drop:
- Tap Tills.
- Select the till to perform a safe drop from.
- Tap Safe Drop:
- Enter an Envelope Number.
- Enter the amount to send to the safe drop. Alternately, enter the number of each bill and coin to send to the safe drop. The total amount will calculate automatically:
- Tap Submit.
If a till needs to be counted during business hours or in between employee shift changes, you may want to hold the till. Holding a till allows you to keep the previous till on hold until it’s ready to be closed. You will also need to open a new till to keep track of new transactions. To hold a till:
- Tap Tills.
- Select the till to hold.
- Tap Hold:
Once you place a till on hold, you may view the till, but you may only close the till. Note that you cannot re-open that same till to make transactions.
To close the till:
- From the dashboard, tap Tills.
- Select a till.
- Tap Checkout. (If you held a till earlier, you will see the till listed option here):
- Enter each Bill Type or Coin Type. The total amount will calculate automatically:
- Tap Next to view the Checkout Summary. Verify that your cash amounts are correct. If you need to make adjustments, tap Checkout to return to the previous screen:
- When everything is accurate, tap Submit. The till will close and send data to the server.
Virtual tills are tills that are tied to individual employees, rather than to a POS terminal or physical cash drawer. Any cash transactions made by that employee will be kept under the virtual till. For information, see Virtual Tills.
The settings below are available in the iPad POS app. From the Dashboard, navigate to Settings > Cash Drawer & Tills:
- Enable Two Cash Drawers: When this setting is active, Revel supports multiple cash drawers at a single POS terminal. If you enable multiple cash drawers, you will need to assign employees to each drawer. After that, the employee’s transactions will be logged under the assigned cash drawer/till.
- Allow Employees to Set Tills: Do you want your employees to be able to open the till?
If you have multiple currencies enabled, you should declare a starting and ending value for each currency:
- Select the currency to declare by tapping the appropriate currency symbol:
- Enter the value for each currency.
The starting and ending values will be recorded for each currency. However, the tills summary data (expected amount in till, variance) will be calculated against the default currency.