You can use recipes and ingredients to monitor your inventory down to the ingredient level. For example, if you sell a sandwich, you can create ingredients such as bread, ham, and cheese. If a recipe is created, after the sandwich is sold, this feature will automatically deducted ingredients from your inventory.
Note: If the product has Track In Inventory turned off, the ingredients associated to the product will still be subtracted from ingredient inventory however the product itself will not be tracked. This feature can be found under the basic product details of an item.
- Creating Ingredients
- Associating Ingredients to Products
- Associating Ingredients to Modifiers
- Primary Stock Units
- Ingredient Inventory
Before creating a recipe, you will first need to create the ingredients you plan to track. For example, if you are selling a burger, you would want to create each of the necessary components of the burger such as the bread, meat, cheese, etc.
- From the Management Console, navigate to Products Ingredients.
- You can create a custom unit type by clicking the Scalesymbol on the top right of the ingredients page.
- Then click Add Ingredient. Fill out the Name, Cost Per Individual Unit, and the Unit of Measurement field for this item.
- Click Save. Repeat steps 1-3 to create more ingredients.
Associating Ingredients to Products
Once you have all your ingredients created, you will need to associate the ingredients to the Products Recipes.
- Start by navigating to the Products tab.
- Find the desired product you want to associate the ingredients to.
- On the right side of the product name, select the R icon to add a recipe.
- Click Add New Ingredient and select the ingredient from the dropdown menu. Notice how you can use both Products and/or Ingredients to be part of a product's recipe.
- Enter in the quantity and repeat steps 4-5 for adding the rest of the ingredients.
- Then click Save.
Associating Ingredients to Modifiers
Ingredients can also be assigned to modifiers. This will help you accurately track your ingredients used for your establishment.
- Beging by selecting the Products > Modifiers.
- Click the plus sign to expand the modifier class. On the far right of the modifier name, select the R icon.
- Next, select Add Ingredient and start typing in the name of the ingredient you want to associate. Notice that you can also select a product to be part of this modifiers recipe.
- Type in the quantity for this item.
- Then click Save.
Primary Stock Units
Primary Stock Unit allow you to track your inventory in larger quantities or smaller quantities. For example, you may sell draft beer by the ounce, but purchase and track that item by the keg. Or if you sell wine by the glass, you can keep a record of how many bottles of wines you have, based on how glasses were sold. Revel gives you the ability to keep track items both by the whole unit or the serving type.
- Click the Pencil icon next to the ingredient.
- Scroll down to the Stock Units section on the bottom of the page
- Click Add a Stock Unit.Then enter the unit name (eg. Bottle).
- In the Conversion Field, fill in how many individual units of this item go into the stock unit. For example, if you are selling a bottle of wine, the conversion rate might be 5. This signifies 5 glasses go into one bottle of wine.
- Lastly, check the Primary box next to a stock unit. This will give you the ability to switch between the unit of measurement, and primary stock unit.
Under Ingredients, we have our wine ingredient’s unit of measurement set as Glass and our primary stock unit as bottle (750mL). Each time a glass of wine sold, it will automatically deduct 1 glass from the ingredient inventory. You can switch the view to “Display by Primary Stock Unit” to display in bottles, instead of mL.
- Navigate to the Inventory tab.
- On the top right select Display by Primary Stock Unit. Notice that the current inventory column will fluctuate based on the conversions you have set up.
- Lastly, you can also Receive inventory by different Unit of Measurements.
- Select the Receive icon on the right side of the item. Then place in the quantity you are receiving and click the drop down arrow for the unit type.
- Then select Receive.