In this section, we are going to show you how to set up taxes for your system. This will be a charge placed on the order based on the item(s) sold; although, some items sold may be exempt from a tax. This guide will demonstrate how to configure your taxes appropriately.
- Setting up a Prevailing Tax
- Setting up Item Specific Tax Rates
- Setting up Untaxed Products
- Setting up Individual Taxes
- Rounding Math or Ceiling
Setting up a Prevailing Tax
To get started, you will want to set a prevailing tax for your establishment. This will be the default tax that will be applied to all your products.
- Log in to your Revel Management Console and navigate to the Products tab.
- On the left side of the screen, select Taxes.
- From the preset tax groups on the left, click Prevailing Tax Group.
- Next,inder the section Included Taxes, click Add Tax and enter in a desired name, tax rate (percentage), and effective from date for your prevailing tax.
- Click Save when finished.
- Hit the Saveicon in the upper right portion of the screen to save all changes.
Note: All products by default will be charged the tax set up for this special tax group; you will not need to assign individual products the prevailing tax.
Setting up Item Specific Tax Rates
Once your prevailing tax has been set up, you may need to create separate taxes to be applied to other products. For example, if your business has a different tax rate for cigarettes or alcohol, you would use this functionality. In the Management Console, you will need to create a new special tax and then select all the products that will be affected by this new tax. Make note, that a new tax and tax rate assigned to items will replace the prevailing tax.
Creating a new tax group
Follow the instructions below to create a new tax and assign it to specific products:
- In the Management Console, navigate back to Products > Taxes.
- From the preset tax groups on the left, click New Tax Group.
- Enter a desired name for the tax group.
- Click Add Tax and create a new individual tax below. Give the tax a rate (percentage) and select an effective from-to date range.
- Select the products above in Included Products to apply the tax. You can do this by filling in their corresponding boxes.
- Then click Save.
- In the Included Products field, select that items which this tax rate applies to.
- Repeat steps 4 – 6 to create additional taxes within a specific tax group.
Note: You can have multiple taxes per item. You are not limited to just one tax group or one specific tax applied to your products. Setting multiple taxes will apply the each taxed percentage amount to the base price of the product. For example, if a $10 bottle of beer has a 10% state tax + 5% county tax, the total would equate to $10 + $1.00 + $0.50 = $11.50.
Setting up Untaxed Products
It is possible for certain products not to be taxed. You can assign products to be included in the untaxed group.