In this article, we're going to show you how to set up taxes for your system. This will be a charge placed on the order based on the item(s) sold; although, some items sold may be exempt from a tax. This guide will demonstrate how to configure your taxes appropriately.
- Setting up a Prevailing Tax
- Editing a Prevailing Tax
- Setting Up Item Specific Tax Rates
- Setting Up Untaxed Products
Setting Up a Prevailing Tax
To get started, you'll want to set a prevailing tax for your establishment. Our Tax Wizard is designed to help you easily set this rate. The prevailing tax rate is the default tax applied to all your products. To create a prevailing tax rate:
- Log in to your Revel Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com) and navigate to the Products tab.
- From the left side of the screen, select Taxes.
- In the Taxes page, you'll see the prevailing tax rate set initially through the Tax Wizard.
- Next, click Advanced Tax Settings. To create a new prevailing tax, click the blue +Add Tax line:
- An Add New Tax window will appear. Enter the tax rate Name, Tax Rate amount, From date, which is the date the rate becomes effective, and To date, which is the date the rate expires. If the rate does not expire, leave the To field blank. Once details are entered, click Save:
Note: When setting From and To dates for a tax intended to take effect after another tax ends, use the same date for the old tax's end date and the new tax's start date. This ensures that a prevailing tax is always in effect.
- To finalize your tax rate, click Save.
You can have as many active prevailing tax rates as necessary.
Note: All products by default will be charged the tax set up for this special tax group; you will not need to assign individual products to the prevailing tax.
Editing a Prevailing Tax
To edit an existing prevailing tax:
- In the Management Console, navigate to the Products tab and click Taxes from the left side.
- Next, click Advanced Tax Settings.
- From the next page, click Individual Taxes.
- In the next page, you'll see all tax groups listed. To edit a tax rate, click the plus icon next to the corresponding rate.
- Click the tax rate amount until an edit box appears. Type in the new rate and then click Save:
Setting Up Item Specific Tax Rates
Once your prevailing tax has been set up, you may need to create separate taxes to be applied to other products. For example, if your business has a different tax rate for cigarettes or alcohol, you would use this functionality. In the Management Console, you'll need to create a new special tax and then select all the products that will be affected by this new tax. Make note, a new tax and tax rate assigned to specific items will replace the prevailing tax.
Creating a new tax group
To create a new tax group and assign it to specific products:
- In the Management Console, navigate to the Products tab and click Taxes from the left.
- Then, click Advanced Tax Settings.
- From the preset tax groups on the left, click New Tax Group.
- Enter a desired name for the tax group in the Name of Group field.
- Click +Add Tax. Give the tax a rate (percentage) and select an effective from-to date range, then click Save.
- In the Included Products field, select that items to which this tax rate applies.
- Click Save to complete your tax group:
Note: You can have multiple taxes per item. You are not limited to just one tax group or one specific tax applied to your products. Setting multiple taxes will apply the each taxed percentage amount to the base price of the product. For example, if a $10 bottle of beer has a 10% state tax + 5% county tax, the total would equate to $10 + $1.00 + $0.50 = $11.50.
Setting Up Untaxed Products
It's possible for certain products not to be taxed. You can assign products to be included in the untaxed group:
- In the Management Console, navigate to the Product tab and click Taxes from the left.
- Then, click Advanced Tax Settings.
- From the preset tax groups on the left, click Untaxed Group.
- From the Included Products box, place a checkmark next to all categories, subcategories, or products that are tax exempt. Anything that is checked will NOT have tax applied.
- Click Save when done: