Products are the items on your menu. Revel allows you to organize your products by category and subcategory. Your first step is getting your basic menu created and organized. In further articles you will also learn how to add modifiers and recipes to your products and how to add products using a matrix.
- Creating Product Categories and Subcategories
- Adding Products to Your Menu
- Viewing Products on the Point of Sale
- Next Steps
Adding Categories and Subcategories to Your Menu
- Go to the Products tab in the Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com).
- Categories will be the broadest level of your menu. So, if you sell Pizza, along with Appetizers, Desserts, etc., those might be your category names. Click +Category to start:
- You'll notice after you add a category, you can further expand the section by clicking on +Subcategory. Subcategories allow you get more specific with your menu items. For example, if you sell pizza by the whole pie and also by the slice, you might want to create separate subcategories for those to make them easier to find on your Point of Sale menu. Additionally, if you have various sizes of pies, you'll want to make sure you label your subcategories for each size option:
When you add a new Category or Subcategory, you have a Sort Option. If you would like these to appear in a certain order, enter a sort number. The default number is the next in order after existing categories or subcategories. This can be helpful if you have a Breakfast Category or a Starters Category and want those to appear earlier in your product list than other categories. This is also available at the Product level as well.
Adding Products to Your Menu
When you are ready to add a product, click on the +Product option. You'll notice for Products, you have additional fields to fill in.
- For the Product Name, this is the name as it will appear on your Point of Sale and reports. Be sure to label products appropriately. So, if you want to track sales for different sizes of pizzas, make sure you include the SIZE in the name of the item. Or if it is a pizza slice, indicate that as well in the label:
- Enter the Product Cost. This is the cost of making the product.*
- Enter the Product Price. This is what the customer pays for the product.
- If you would like your products to appear in a certain order within the subcategory, enter a Sort number. For instance, if you enter 2 under sort, the product will appear second among the products in that subcategory. The default number is the next in order after existing products.
- After you've filled in the appropriate fields, be sure to select SAVE at the top right.
NOTE: You can press SAVE at any point when adding Categories, Subcategories or Products to your menu. It's good practice to save periodically to prevent any loss of data.
This is a quick and easy way to add products to your menu, but it's not the only way. If you have a lot of products to add, you can import your list from an Excel spreadsheet or create your products on a matrix.
*Note about Price: When you create a recipe and ingredients for a product, you will have the option to let the cost of the combined ingredients automatically determine the cost of the product.
Viewing Products on the Point of Sale
As you are building your menu, you'll probably want to see what it looks like from the Point of Sale. To do so:
- Open the Revel POS App on your iPad.
- Select the Refresh option at the top right.
- When the refresh completes, enter your PIN to login.
- Create a new order.
- You'll see your menu on the right with the new Categories, Subcategories and Products created: