Virtual Tills are tills that are tied to individual employees, rather than to a Point of Sale station or cash drawer. Any cash transactions of an employee with a virtual till will be logged in that virtual till, instead of any physical tills the employee is operating. Think of the virtual till as a representation of the cash in an employee’s pocket.
- Configuring Virtual Tills in the Management Console
- Virtual Till Functionality on the POS
- Setting a Virtual Till on the POS
- Performing Cash Drops
- Closing Virtual Tills Through End-of-Day Process
- Closing Virtual Tills Manually
Configuring Virtual Tills in the Management Console
Virtual tills, like physical tills, are enabled through the Role Permissions page in the Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com). Unlike physical tills, which have various functionalities separated into specific permissions, virtual till functionality is all encapsulated under one permission. Selecting the Virtual Tills permission box for a role will grant those employees access to virtual tills. It is strongly recommend that non-delivery roles (delivery drivers, delivery managers, etc) employees NOT be given access to virtual tills, as they are not supported outside of the Delivery Management Console. To enable virtual tills:
- In the Management Console, navigate to the Employees tab and click the Role Permissions sub-tab.
- In the Role Permissions matrix, locate the role(s) that need to have Virtual Till functionality. Check the box in line with the role(s) and the Virtual Till permission. Click Save in the top right corner to save your changes:
Virtual Till Functionality on the POS
On the POS, in the Settings drop-down menu, the Tills option will display the current till that is receiving money from transactions. If no till is set, the text will read Not Set:
Tapping the Tills option brings the user to a new set of till options. For each till category type (virtual, cash drawer), if there is a held till or no till set, the POS gives the option to set a till. However, if there is an active till, the user cannot set a new till:
Please note that employees can be locked to specific cash drawers, and if so, they are only able to access open or held tills associated with that cash drawer. Managers have more flexibility to choose either cash drawer and access open or held tills associated with those cash drawers. Further, virtual tills are not considered communal, and may only be accessed by employees who own those virtual tills.
Setting a Virtual Tills on the POS
Depending on the settings configured in the Management Console, virtual tills can either be set when the employee logs into the POS (by prompt), accessed from the delivery console, or by tapping the Tills option in the Settings menu on the POS.
Please Note: Starting Cash for Virtual Tills is factored into the Cash Due House on the Sales Summary.
To set a virtual till on the POS:
- On the POS, if you're setting the virtual till by prompt, the Till Management screen will automatically appear upon login.
- If you are setting the virtual till manually, tap the gear icon in the top left corner to open the Settings menu. Select Tills from the drop-down.
- In the Till Management screen, verify you are working in the virtual till screen by confirming it lists an employee name and Virtual Till in the bottom left corner.
- In the Dollar field, type the amount of cash in the virtual till. Tap Set Till in the bottom right corner:
- Once the till has been set, the Till Management screen will automatically close. You can bring up the Till Management screen at any time by tapping the gear icon to access the Settings menu and selecting Tills from the drop-down. This will open the Till Management screen. Once the till has been set, the Till Management screen will display the date and time the till was set:
Performing Cash Drops
Cash drops are how an employee can transfer the money in their virtual till to physical tills. There first needs to be a physical till set on the station being used for the cash drop in order for the cash drop to be performed correctly. To perform a cash drop:
- On the POS station with the receiving physical till, tap the gear icon to open the Settings menu. Select Tills from the drop-down.
- In the Till Management window, tap the Cash Drop button on the right side of the window:
- In the Till Management- Cash Drop window, enter the amount of the cash drop and tap Done in the bottom right corner:
- The cash amount will then be transfered from the virtual till balance to the physical till balance.
- Any cash drops will be reflected in the Tills Report for the virtual till as Pay Outs. The report will show the date and time of the cash drop, the employee who performed it, the POS station it was performed on, and the physical till that received the cash drop.
Closing Virtual Tills Through End of Day Process
Virtual tills can be checked out and closed in the same way that physical tills are. However, only the employee who set the virtual till can close it out. There are two exceptions to this: closing virtual tills through the End-of-Day Process, and through the Tills Report. To close a virtual till through the End-of-Day Process:
- On the POS, tap the gear icon to open the Settings menu.
- From the drop-down, tap Manager.
- On the next screen, tap End of Day.
- Once the End-of-Day wizard has stopped at Close All Tills, tap Close Virtual Till in the top right corner:
- From here, you will be taken to the Till Management screen. Tap Checkout in the bottom right corner:
- In the Checkout Summary screen, confirm all information is correct. Tap Print if you'd like to print a copy of the Checkout Summary. Tap Print Log if you'd like to print a copy of the Cash Log.
- To close the till, tap Submit in the bottom right corner:
- You will then be taken back to the End-of-Day Process screen.
Closing Virtual Tills Manually
If you do not use the End-of-Day Process, you will checkout your virtual tills manually. To do this:
- On the POS, tap the gear icon to open the Settings menu.
- From the drop-down, tap Tills.
- On the Till Management screen, tap Checkout in the bottom right corner.
- In the Checkout Summary screen, confirm that all information is correct. Tap Print if you'd like to print a copy of the Checkout Summary. Tap Print Log if you'd like to print a copy of the Cash Log.
- To close the till, tap Submit in the bottom right corner.