As we learned in our Till Management Guide, a till is a cash drawer assigned to an employee to perform cash operations for your business. The Management Console helps you track and manage cash flow through the business, but the cash operations are performed on the POS.
Depending on the settings configured on the Management Console, tills can either be set when the employee logs into the POS (by prompt), or by tapping the Tills option on the dashboard.
Once a till has been set, users can access their till by tapping the Tills button in the Operations section on the dashboard. They will see a Till Management window similar to the one shown in the image below. This window will display the date and time that the till was set, the amount of money currently in that till, and have options for the user to close out their till.
Let's take a look at how to perform the many operations available on the POS, click a link below to view the section you're looking for:
- Safe Drop
- Open Cash Drawer
- Hold Till
- Print Cash Log
- Reassign Drawer
- Till Checkout
Pay-Ins and Pay-Outs
Pay-ins and pay-outs are a means of adding and removing money from tills outside of cash transactions, so that it can be tracked in reporting.
To perform a pay-in or pay-out, perform the following steps:
- On the POS station, tap the Tills button on the dashboard:
- A list of your current tills will appear, click the till you want to perform the pay-out or pay-in on:
- Select Pay-In or Pay-Out from the menu. Enter the amount for the transaction using the keypad that appears:
- Next, enter the Reason for the Pay-In or Pay-Out:
- Lastly, click the Submit button to complete your Pay-Out or Pay-In. You will be directed back to the function menu for your till.
Depending on your business, you can require Safe Drops at regular intervals, a certain dollar amount in the till, or in your End-of-Day process. These settings can be edited and enabled within your Management Console.
- To perform a Safe Drop, click on the Tills button on the dashboard screen of your POS:
- Select the till you are assigned to and click Safe Drop from the menu that appears:
- Enter the amount and, if applicable, the envelope number for the Safe Drop. When you're finished, click the Submit button:
Tapping the Print Safe Drop button will print out a log of the entered safe drop amount from the receipt printer. This can be used for any desired logging outside of the Revel System. Tapping the Print Empty Safe Drop button will print out a blank safe drop log from the receipt printer, to be used for manual entry of any safe drops.
If an employee or manager needs to open the cash drawer for the till, Revel profides a one button solution to open the drawer.
- Click on the till you want to open the drawer for:
- Click Open Cash Drawer button:
Users can access the “Hold Till” function when they want to count and clear the cash out of a till while still completing cash transactions on that POS station. In most cases, the first till will be held and removed from the cash drawer, and a second till will be placed into the cash drawer and set on the POS station. The first till will be counted and clear, and then closed on the POS station.
- To hold a till, click on the till you want to hold:
- Click the Hold button in the menu that appears:
- Once a till has been held, it can be accessed by performing step one.
Note: Once a till is marked on hold, you can access it, but once it is on hold it will stay that way until it is closed out. If you need to take a payment other than cash, you will have to open a new till.
Print Cash Log
An employee can print a cash log showing all transactions from their till.
- Select the till to print the cash log for:
- Click the Print Cash Log button, the cash log will be sent to the printer connected to the till:
If the Tills - Assign Till Ownership role permission is enabled, employees can place a till under another employee’s name on the POS:
This may be used for security purposes, requiring that a manager will set the till for all employees.
- Select the till to reassign from the dashboard of the POS:
- Click Reassign Till from the menu that appears:
- Select the employee to assign the drawer to from the list that appears:
- Now the till is assigned to the employee you selected.
To close/checkout a till, an employee or manager will first need to have the Tills - Close a Till role permission enabled. To find out how to change role permissions for employees, see our article Assigning Roles & Wages. Once enabled, users can perform the following steps to close a till:
- Click the Tills button on the dashboard and select the till to checkout:
- Tap the Checkout button from the menu that appears:
- On this window, users will enter the amount of each bill type they have in their till, as well as the bills for any other currencies the user has configured. Tills can support up to four different currencies:
Note: If the Track coins in tills option is enabled in the Tills settings on the Management Console, the Coin Type button will appear on the Checkout screen. Tapping this button will bring up a list of fields of the configured coin type values. The user can enter the amount of each coin in the corresponding fields.
- Once the bills and coins are entered in the Checkout screen, click Next:
- To complete the checkout process, click Submit, a message will pop up notifying you that the till is now closed:
End of Day
Tills can be closed by employees with manager role permission on the POS by running the End-of-Day Process wizard.
- Click on the End of Day Process button from the dashboard of the POS:
- A new screen will show, listing all open tills:
- Select the till you want to close, and the till function menu will appear. Select Checkout:
- Enter the total cash in the drawer, and click Next:
- The Checkout Summary will appear. To complete closing the till, click Submit:
- If it is also the end of the employee's shift, they can be clocked out from the End-of-Day wizard. Click the Clock Out button:
Tapping the “Close Virtual Till / Close Till” button for that till will initiate the till checkout process. After checking out the till, the user will be shown a Checkout Summary screen for that till.
Checkout Summary Screen