Revel integrates with Twilio, allowing you to send SMS messages to your customers when their order or table is ready.
Please make sure you have an existing Twilio account. If you don't yet have an account, visit the Twilio Website to get started.
- Connecting Your Twilio Account
- Setting Up Your Messaging
- Enabling SMS on Done from KDS
- Using the Waitlist and Reservation Integration
Connecting Your Twilio Account
First, enter your Twilio settings into your Revel Management Console:
- On your Revel Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com), go to Settings.
- Click Clear Selections and type Twilio into the search bar.
- Check the box next to Twilio.
- Enter your Twilio SID, Token and the Phone Number you'd like messages to send from and click Save:
- To locate the above information, login to your Twilio account and navigate to the dashboard:
Setting Up Your Messaging
To set up your messaging, you need Table Reservations enabled. Please contact Revel Support to enable this setting if you are unable to complete the following steps:
- On your Management Console, go to Settings.
- Click Clear Selections and type Table Reservations into the search bar.
- Check the box next to Table Reservations.
- Under Messaging, click + Add SMS Preset.
- Enter the required information:Message Preset: Enter the SMS message text to send to customers
Automatic: Check this if you'd like the SMS to be sent automatically using the triggers you decide
Trigger: Select After Added to Waitlist or Quoted Wait Time as the trigger to send the SMS, then enter the minutes after/before the selected trigger you'd like the SMS to send
Active: uncheck this to deactivate that message presetNOTE: SMS message texts are limited to 160 characters. Make sure your message presets are shorter than this character limit; otherwise the SMS will not send.
- Click Save
Enabling SMS on Done from KDS
You can automatically send an SMS when tapping Done on the KDS in tile expedite view.
- In your Management Console, go to Settings.
- Click Clear Selections and type Send SMS on into the search bar.
- Check the box next to Send SMS on KDS Done.
- Enable Send SMS on KDS Done and enter the message you'd like to automatically send. You can customize the message by including $order (order number) or $name (customer's first name) in the message:
NOTE: SMS message texts are limited to 160 characters. This includes the $order and $name values, which can make the message exceed 160 characters. Make sure your full message is shorter than this character limit; otherwise the SMS will not send.
- Click Save
Using the Waitlist and Table Reservation Integration
As your customers are added to your Waitlist or Reservations list on the Point of Sale, you can send automated SMS messages that you preconfigure to send. You will be required to add a customer and phone number to the reservation or waitlist for this functionality to work. NOTE: The Waitlist or Table Reservation functionalities will appear on the home screen on your Point of Sale in the same location as your Table Layout. If you do not see this option, please contact Revel Support to activate.
To add a new customer to a Waitlist:
- Choose Waitlist at the top of the page. You'll see a list of all existing patrons on your waitlist. Add patrons to the waitlist by selecting +New Party.
- To add a new party, start input the Type, Party Size and Quoted Wait time on the left:
- Input the customer's info. You can do this manually by filling out the appropriate fields, inputting at least their Name and Phone Number if you want them to receive SMS notifications. If they are in your CRM database, you can use the Search function to find them; use the magnifying glass icon next to the name field. When you select this, you can than search by customer name and once you choose a customer, their stored information will automatically populate into the waitlist or reservation. Once you find the appropriate customer, choose the Link option to add them to the waitlist:
- Be sure to select whether you want the customer to be Auto Notified By Text. This will send the customer an immediate notification once they are added to a waitlist. Additionally, if you have preset notifications, they will receive those as well, based on the triggers you set up. When finished choose Add:
- When you are ready to seat a customer from the waitlist, return to the list and find the appropriate customer. Choose the Seat Party option on the right:
- You'll see a list of all available tables. Choose the correct one for seating the customer and press Done.
You can see what messages were sent, or manually send SMS messages by following these steps:
- Open the Reservations or Waitlist lists on your Point of Sale.
- Make sure there's a customer connected to the reservation or waitlist entry (see above).
- To see which SMS's have been sent or to manually send an SMS, click the pencil, then Edit Entry:
- On the screen prompt, enter the text you'd like to send as an SMS and click Send:
- All sent SMS messages will show on the Edit Entry screen once sent:
Helpful Hint: your customers can text back Remove (not case sensitive), and they will be removed from the waitlist and will no longer receive automated text messages.
Include this tip in message presets to help guests to take advantages of this functionality.