Guided Access is an iOS function that Revel recommends you activate on your Point of Sale. It allows you to "lock" your iPad to a particular application, preventing employees from downloading and/or opening personal applications that could affect Revel's functionality, explained more in detail here.
However, a recent release of iOS 12 caused iPads to auto-lock and show a blacked out screen when in Guided Access. This guide will walk you through a resolution.
How to Fix
Follow the steps below to fix:
- Make sure you have downloaded a version of iOS 12.1.1 or newer. To determine what version your iPad is on, follow the instructions here and if you need to update your iOS, check here for instructions.
- Once everything is up-to-date on your iPad, go to Settings and choose General, then select Accessibility:
- Under Accessibility, choose Guided Access:
- Under Guided Access, Mirror Display Auto-Lock is probably off by default; make sure turn it ON:
- NOTE: When this is ON, Guided Access will mirror your Auto-Lock settings. To ensure these are correct, on your iPad go to Settings, choose Display & Brightness and set Auto-Lock to Never.