iZettle's newest card reader, iZettle Reader 2 operates by pairing to a device via Low-Energy Bluetooth connection, allowing for a much longer battery life compared to its predecessor. However, as a result, iZettle Reader 2 only supports in-app pairing. In order to successfully pair, your iPad must be running on iOS 10 or higher and your Revel App must be on version 2.55 or higher.
Pairing a Device
To pair a device, use the steps below:
- Make sure your iPad has Bluetooth turned ON.
- In Revel POS, open a new order and add an item to it.
- Press Pay;then choose Credit.
- If this is the first time you're using iZettle on a fresh Revel POS installation, you will be asked to login with your iZettle credentials. Otherwise, skip this step.
- A prompt will appear saying "No card reader connected". Press the green "Connect card reader" button:
- Select "iZettle Reader 2":
- At this point, if you haven't already, make sure your iZettle Reader 2 is powered ON. You will see a list of detected card readers. Find and tap on your device. Make sure that the 3-digit number matches the one you see on your device's screen:
- Both the iPad and the iZettle Reader 2 will display a 6-digit PIN. Once you confirm that this pin matches on both devices, Press Confirm on the iPad and press the green checkmark button on the iZettle Reader 2, in any order:
- Your iZettle Reader 2 should be paired with the iPad now and request to insert the card. At this point, you can cancel the transaction and void the order that was created as part of this process:
Differences Between 1st and 2nd Generation
With the new release of iZettle readers, there a few things to note regarding the differences from the first generation. Second generation includes:
- BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) instead of BL (Bluetooth)
- Improved pairing flow
- A new surface that doesn't attract dirt and makes it more resistant to tough environments
- Removed support for magstripe payments (for safer payments)
- Tipping feature
- Background update for Reader software
- Memory leak fixes
- Stability improvements
- Programmatic log out
- Bluetooth connection stability improvements