Here are some of our most frequently asked questions about the iPad and the Point of Sale:
- How Do I Change My Printer Font on the Point of Sale?
- I forgot my iPad/Apple ID password – what now?
- Is There a Time Limit to Capture Transactions?
- How Do I Refund Debit Card Transactions?
- Can I Accept Tips on a Debit Card Transaction?
- What should I do if my iPad updated to a new iOS prematurely?
- What iOS Versions Do You Support?
- How Do I Force Shut Down/Restart the iPad?
- How Do I Force Quit the iPad POS Revel App?
- How Do I Reconnect to the Revel Network?
- How Do I Know What Version I'm Using?
- How Do I Set the iPad (POS, KDS and CDS) to a Static IP Address?
- How Do I Enable Forced Photo Clock In?
- How Do I Set a Point of Sale Station as the Main Station?
- How Do I Open a Held Order?
- What is the Difference Between Logging In and Clock In?
- How Can We Check Delivery Eligibility for Addresses from the POS?
- How Do I Set the POS to Require a Dining Option?
- How Many Bar Tabs Can I Hold at Once?
- Can I Prevent Employees from Clocking in Before Their Shifts?
- How Do I Remove a Photo on a Product that was Added via Photo Edit Mode?
- Are Email Addresses Saved When Email Receipts are Sent?
- Can Employee Clock-In Photos Be Viewed in the Backend?
- How Do I Add a Tip to a Paid Order?
How Do I Change My Printer Font on the Point of Sale?
Depending on your printer, you can change the printer font on the Point of Sale by going to POS Settings> Printers. Here, you can choose between Normal and Large.
I forgot my iPad/Apple ID password – what now?
- If you forgot your Apple ID password, please click here for instructions.
- If you need to reset your iPad password, click here.
Is There a Time Limit to Capture Transactions?
Yes. Most payment processors allow capturing for 30 days, except PayPal, which allows capturing using the same transaction for 3 days. If a payment is not captured during this time, it will go into an archived state and be removed from customers' credit statements.
How Do I Refund Debit Card Transactions?
If a payment originally accepted via Debit (the Debit payment button on the POS), the refund will have to be given in cash. If the debit card was processed via Credit (the Credit payment button on the POS), the refund will go back on to the customers Debit/Credit Card.
*If you are using Intuit Payments (QuickBooks), then the Debit refund will also be reported as a Payout in Revel.
Can I Accept Tips on a Debit Card Transaction?
Yes. To do this, you must enable a specific setting. In the Management Console go to Settings>Payments>Credit Options>Capture on Swipe. When this setting is enabled, the Point of Sale will prompt for a tip amount prior to sending the authorization.
Please Note: If Capture on Swipe is not enabled, all debit card transactions will be run as credit.
What should I do if my iPad updated to a new iOS prematurely?
To ensure the Revel quality you've come to expect, our developers take a bit of time after each major iOS release to test our products on the latest/greatest Apple software.
If you've updated your iPad to a new iOS version and notice unusual behavior, you can follow the steps in this article to try to resolve the problem.
Update Your Revel App
First off, don't panic – it's possible that there's a more recent version of the Revel app that can solve the problem, available today.
Head to our upgrade article and carefully follow the instructions there to see if the problem is resolved after your update to the newest Revel version.
Still Having Trouble?
What iOS Versions Do You Support?
Your Revel Point of Sale is designed to work with the latest iOS version, and maintains backward compatibility with the previous iOS release only.
How Do I Force Shut Down/Restart the iPad?
Hold the home button and the lock button down until the screen goes black and the Apple logo appears. The iPad is now restarting
How Do I Force Quit the iPad POS Revel App?
Force Quit the Point of Sale App
- Double tap on the iPad home button:
- The Revel App will minimize. Swipe up on the Revel App:
Clear the Device RAM
- Hold the Sleep/Wake button on the edge of the iPad until the slide to power off screen appears (generally takes around 5 seconds):
- The screen should flash and the Revel app should re-launch.
- Log in to the Point of Sale.
- The application may ask to update the device ID. Tap Update and refresh all stations that share its network key (non-syncing stations can be skipped).
How Do I Reconnect to the Revel Network?
- Go to the iPad settings and click on Wi-Fi. Scroll down and click on "Other...":
- For "Name" enter the business Revel Network (if you are unsure of the network name, please contact Support).
- For "Security" enter WPA2.
- Click on "Other Network" to go back.
- Enter in the password. Contact Revel Support if you don't know the password:
How Do I Know What Version I'm Using?
On the Management Console, check the version number by clicking the About button located on the top of the page.
iPad POS Platform:
To check the POS version or build, double tap the Revel logo at the top of the login screen (where you enter your pin in the iPad POS Platform).
Checking the iPad POS or Customer Display System Version from the Management Console
You can also use the Management Console to look up Point of Sale and Customer Display versions. Navigate to the Establishment tab, and click Version Information in the left-side menu.
Kitchen Display System:
To check the KDS version or build, double tap on the Revel logo in the lefthand corner of the screen. A pop-up window will appear with the version information.
How Do I Set the iPad (POS, KDS and CDS) to a Static IP Address?
- Open iPad Settings
- Tap on Wi-Fi
- Tap on Revel Network or the "i" logo with the blue circle
- Select Configure IP
- Then tap Manual
- For IP Address enter: 192.168.22.xxx (Enter the appropriate numbers for "xxx" by referring to the range table below.)
*If the number of devices exceed the range, please contact Revel Support at 415-744-1344 Ext. 2, or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
IP Address Range:
iPAD (POS Stations)
192.168.22.111 - 119
192.168.22.121 – 129
iPAD (Customer Display)
192.168.22.101 – 109
6. For Subnet Mask enter: 255.255.255.0
7. For Routerenter: 192.168.22.1. Then clickSave.
8. Tap ConfigureDNS. Select Manual and tapAdd Server. Enter:220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168,OR 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199. Then clickSave.
*If using a non-revel network please contact the network administrator for assigning the correct IP address range.
***Please Note: There can only be one DNS configuration on the iPad. If there are multiple configurations, some devices will not work, such as the KDS.
How Do I Enable Forced Photo Clock In?
This setting requires employees to take their picture as a part of the clock in process. To enable this setting:
- Login to the Management Consoleand go to Settings
- Search for the Photo Clockin setting
- Then Click Save
After the setting is enabled. Refresh the Point of Sale. Before this feature may be used, a manager/owner must allow the Point of Sale to store photos on the iPad’s photo library:
- Log in using a manger or owner PIN
- On the dashboard, tap the Settings icon
- From the Settings menu, tap Access.
- Then toggle theSave Clock In Photos to Photo Library button.
How Do I Set a Point of Sale Station as the Main Station?
Use the Main Point of Sale Station to accept online orders, record tips, and complete the batch process at the end of the night.
Before you set a station as Main on the iPad Point of Sale, verify with your Revel agent that the station is already set as the Main Syncing Station in the management console. There should be only one Main station for each network key.
To set an iPad as the main POS station:
1. Log into the iPad POS Platform as a manager or owner. On the dashboard, tap the Settings button.
2.Then select the Stationstab and tap Main.
How Do I Open a Held Order?
After selecting Hold Order, it is possible to reenter the order from the Orders button at the top of the iPad POS screen (under Held Orders).
What is the Difference Between Logging In and Clock In?
On the Point of Sale, you can use the application to log in or clock in your employees. Logging In gives you the ability to process transactions and use the point of sale, where as Clocking In simply starts a time clock of when your employee started their shift
On the Point of Sale screen, enter your PIN. Then tap Login. Once again, logging in will give you access to start using the Point of Sale.
Starting from the Point of Sale login screen. Enter your PIN, then tap Clock In.
The POS will then ask you to confirm clocking in.
Remember, just because an employee logs in, doesn’t mean their hours worked are being tracked. To verify which employees are clocked in, tap View Timecards. Here you will be able to view exactly when an employee clocked in or clocked out. If an employee forgot to clock in or clock out, you can adjust their time worked on the schedules tab of the management console.
Timeclock and Time cards
If you are already logged in to the Point of Sale, your employee can also clock in using the Timeclock button.
By clicking View Timecards, you can easily see which employees are clocked in or clocked out.
How Can We Check Delivery Eligibility for Addresses from the POS?
Currently delivery functionality is limited to displaying the distance and travel time per location. It is up to the client to determine whether or not the location meets their eligibility requirements.
How Do I Set the POS to Require a Dining Option?
You can set a prompt to remind users to enter a dining option for each order.
Setting a Dining Option prompt
- Go to the Settings tab in the Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com).
- Click Clear Selections, search for prompt for order options. Once the advanced Pos Settings appears, check the box next to Prompt for Order Option.
- Now, when an employee taps the New Order button on the point of sale, a prompt will appear asking them to choose a dining option Note: If you would like the prompt to appear when the customer pays for the order instead, click the on pay box.
- Click Save and refresh your POS Stations to apply the change.
How Many Bar Tabs Can I Hold at Once?
It is possible to have up to 3 pages of bar tabs on the iPad POS Platform. Each page can hold up to 104 bar tabs, 312 bar tabs in total. To select the desired pages of bar tabs log into the Management Console. Go to Settings > Table Service Settings. Scroll down to "pages of bar tabs."
Click save and refresh the POS station(s) in order for the changes to take effect.
Note: Make sure the "bar tabs" setting is enabled (Under Table Service Settings.) Also to see these settings the Establishment type of service needs to be set to "Table Service."
Can I Prevent Employees from Clocking in Before Their Shifts?
Yes. To do this:
- Log in to the Management Console and go to Schedules > Time Sheet Rules.
- Check Enable clock-in before shift limit.
- Enter the amount of time a clock-in is allowable before the start of a shift and Save. The changes take effect once the POS stations are refreshed.
How Do I Remove a Photo on a Product that was Added via Photo Edit Mode?
All photos taken via the Photo Edit Mode are permanently placed onto the item icon. If you’ll like to remove the photo, you need to do this from the management console.
To learn how to navigate to the product details where you can upload photos, please click here.
Are Email Addresses Saved When Email Receipts are Sent?
Unfortunately, only email addresses associated with a customer are saved in the backend. If the customer does not exist in the Customer Relationship Manager (CRM), the email address will need to be entered in manually on the POS in order to send the email receipt. Email addresses entered manually are not saved.
Can Employee Clock-In Photos Be Viewed in the Backend?
The photos captured using Photo Clock-In are stored locally on the iPad. You can see them on the Management Console by going to Schedules > Time Worked, then select the relevant Employee check boxes on the left hand side. Once selected, a button will appear at the bottom saying "View Clock In".
How Do I Add a Tip to a Paid Order?
- Press the Pay button inside a paid order to open up the payment screen.
- Select Tip Amount on the bottom-left of the payment screen.