Note: This article refers to features in version 2.59, which you may not be using yet. Here's how software updates work with Revel:
- Your Management Console will automatically upgrade to the newest version in mid-March. No action is required!
- Your new Revel Point of Sale app will be available shortly after that. Once it's available, head here for update instructions.
- For a complete overview of how releases work at Revel, head here.
In Version 2.59, you can now refund a remaining gift card balance with cash.
This feature supports Revel customers in California, allowing them to be in compliance with California laws governing gift cards that require any gift certificate with a cash value less than $10 must be redeemable in cash.
With this feature, you can set the threshold for refund eligibility—this means a cash refund can only be given if the balance on the gift card is at or below the threshold you set.
PLEASE NOTE: All associated cash movements with the refund will be updated in the cash logs.
How to Enable Cash Back for Gift Cards
In order to offer cash for remaining gift card balances, you must first turn on some Management Console settings. To do this:
- In the Management Console ([yoursubdomain].revelup.com), go to the Settings tab.
- Click Clear Selections and type Refund Out Gift Card to Cash in the search box.
- Check the box for Refund Out Gift Card to Cash so the setting appears on the right side of the screen.
- Next, enable the setting for Refund Out Gift Card to Cash. Once you enable it, the Maximum Value Threshold field will appear. Enter the maximum value that can be refunded. The Point of Sale will only display a refund prompt at or below this value:
- Click Save when done.
Refunding Cash for Gift Card Balances on the POS
To refund a gift card balance on the POS:
- If a gift card balance is equal or below the Maximum Value Threshold (see above section), an option to Cash Out will be available. To get to this option, tap Gift Cards on the POS dashboard and enter the GC number or swipe the card. From the Gift Card Info window, tap Cash Out:
- Tapping Cash Out will prompt the cash drawer to open and the POS will show the tender amount due:
- The gift card balance will automatically update.
PLEASE NOTE: Refund is restricted to CASH only.